Sunday, September 20, 2009

Nice Shot

Friday, 9-18-09 (Day 3)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): I had no idea it would be so hard to keep myself off the scale. Breaking this obsession has proved harder than my attempt at eating right.

I obviously have issues.

Lupron (10units, subQ injection): Right side injection went well. I had a little bit of trouble getting the needle through the tough skin of my fatty pooch today, but it helps to take a deep breath and push through the pain, slow and steady.

Saturday, 9-19-09 (Day 4)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): So far I'm doing well controlling my appetite, but I'm constantly craving Costco's beef hot dogs and their Kirkland signature organic low fat chocolate milk. And at only $1.50 for a hot dog and drink, I'm starting to find reasons to stop at Costco every day.

In fact, it's lunch time and we're almost out of stamps.

Lupron (10units, subQ injection): These injections are much less stressful this time, probably because I've already been through this and it's almost like riding a bike. Unlike last cycle, I'm fearless when it comes to drawing up the wrong amount, and sticking myself is as convenient as getting dressed in the morning.

Almost.

And my zen attitude must be contagious because tonight, my husband-without any prompting at all on my part-asked if he could draw up the Lupron for me. He even knew the appropriate amount to units to draw without asking or consulting the calender, which means he must have been seriously paying attention these last few nights. He meticulously filled the syringe with a steady hand and a new found confidence that mirrored my own.

Just the fact that he volunteered so eagerly to contribute without me asking is enough to make me tear up with pride.

Or maybe it's just the Lupron.

Sunday, 9-20-09 (Day 5)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): And so it begins.

All day long I've craved-and ate-anything salty that I could get my hands on. Top Roman, Cheddar Goldfish, Bacon, English Muffin with tons of butter, Salad with olives, cheese, peppers and ranch, corn chips with Tostito's Salsa Con Queso cheese dip, and French Onion Sun Chips.

There's more, but I'm just too embarrassed to share.

Lupron (10units, subQ injection): Other than the tiny lingering bruise I received from the very first injection, you'd never know I'm getting shot. This is getting more and more simple every day.

I love it.

And tonight, after almost seven weeks on birth control pills, I consumed the last one. No more cell phone alarm screaming at 10pm and reminding me of my nightly estrogen fix, and no more tiny pink pills. Now we just wait for my Uterus to do it's thing and get to shedding that lining, so we can start growing some good looking follicles to be harvested in October.

I'm hoping for an entire pumpkin patch this time.

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
-Frank A. Clark

9 comments:

JackieMac said...

I am hoping for a pumpkin patch for you this time too - I am so excited for you - this is going to be it. I do have a question for you - do you take all your injections at night - do you always take your lupron at night??

WantWait&Pray said...

Yes! Amen to that pumpkin patch.....that is my prayer too! You're doing great girl.....try to just let your body do what it needs to do. If you crave salty, eat salty. If you crave Costco hotdogs (yum, totally love those too), then have them. There is so much stuff that you're doing to your body that rewarding it with a little comfort food is fine. I think anyway...I've forbid myself from stepping on the scale and just let myself go through this cycles listening to my bodies needs. You're doing GREAT.....I am getting SO excited for you! xoxoxoxoxo

House of I.B. Martin said...

I'm keeping you guys in my thoughts and my prayers! I hope you guys get your pumpkin patch plus some- you guys more than deserve it! Costco hot dog sounds great right about now... good thing ours in like an hour + away!

Hillary said...

Praying for that pumpkin patch with you!

Jennifer said...

I'm praying for your pumpkin patch too!

Robin said...

Yum to chips and salsa cheese dip! That little pill is just fascinating stuff. I say give in. You'll need the few extra pounds soon when your little pumpkin won't let you eat anything! Love you!!!!

Mrs. Hammer said...

I'll be praying for high quality pumpkins for ya! Here's to AF coming this week so we can get this show on the road :0)

Kelli said...

A pumpkin patch sounds great!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I was craving things..I am so nauseated and no appetite from my drugs (metformin). Amen to your pumpkin patch analogy!