Friday, September 25, 2009

Blood Shot

Thursday, 9-24-09 (Day 9)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): I did a little more research today and found out this tiny pill isn't the only culprit responsible for my cravings; apparently Lupron causes ravenous hunger as well.

Lupron (5units, subQ injection): Other than the disappointment surrounding the realization that this drug has joined forces with Dexamethasone on operation Make Tab Fat, I'm really impressed with how well everything is going. The shots are smooth, the bruising is at a minimum, the headaches are few and far between, and the need to take naps are nonexistent. And check out these crazy good statistics:

Tab-9, Sharps Container-0.

E2 blood draw: Despite last cycle's hardships with this simple little blood test, today's blood draw was fairly easy. The scene was set a little differently since the phlebotomist wasn't the usual family member of mine, but she was nice enough and she removed my blood just as well.

I did sort of miss the special treatment though.

Especially when the white coated guy behind the counter with a five-o-clock shadow and a fuzzy faux-hawk lazily scanned my lab slip and reminded me that this city doesn't have a hospital or lab that will run this test STAT, because it's just "not that important" of a blood test.

I don't think he necessarily meant it to be rude, but since I was already slightly distressed at the somewhat snarky attitude he gave the old lady in front of me, I was less than impressed by his dismissal of the importance of my blood test results.

Or his hair.

I wanted to to tell him it incredibly foolish to be even remotely rude to a girl that's spent the last nine days being pumped full of hormones, but instead I settled for letting him know that it was indeed important to me, but we'll let it slide this time since he'd be able to get me the results by tomorrow afternoon.

Or else I'll shave his head.

Oh, and just in case it hasn't been made obvious yet, my period arrived right on time today, just like my med calendar's red letters said it would.

That poor guy never had a chance.

Friday, 9-25-09 (Day 10)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): In a rush to leave for work on time today, my elephant memory shut down and I forgot-for the first time ever-to take this pill.

I wonder if that was a subconscious action brought on by my love handles.

Lupron (5units, subQ injection): Also caused by my rushing around this morning was some severe pain that was brought on by my not-so-smart injection tactics.

It's really not a good idea to brush your teeth with one hand and shoot yourself with the other.

E2: My favorite lab coat wearing, five-o-clock shadow sporting, fuzzy faux-hawk phlebotomist delivered on his promise today and I was given an E2 level of 33 on day 9 of meds, an excellent, low number landing at less than half of last cycles 67 on day 10 of meds.

So, no worries. God is good, I've received an amazing number that surpassed my expectations, the sarcastic phlebotomist will keep his hair, and I have learned not to judge people based on their appearance and slightly snarky attitude.

He just may have been anxiously waiting for something too.

"Events will take their course, it is no good of being angry at them; he is happiest who wisely turns them to the best account."
-Euripides

5 comments:

Kelli said...

What a great E2 level! Love your positive attitude, love the humor in your posts, love your honesty, and love you!
Have a great day!

Hillary said...

Glad the E2 level is right on track!!

WantWait&Pray said...

YAY! Praise God!

I am praying for you sweetie, God is good.
See this post on this Dr's blog...it's about HCG timing and I think you'll find it interesting in how it relates to your last cycle:
http://infertilityblog.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Hammer said...

Great E2 level. I'm glad faux-hawk came through for you.

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

Im so happy to read that things are going well. Keep it up, Tabitha! We ALL want to see this cycle end in a BFP!