Friday, July 10, 2009

Oh, Shoot

Thursday, 7-9-09 (Day 9)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): I'm still blaming this for my relentless, neurotic appetite; and hoping this isn't a vision of what's to come during pregnancy.

Lupron (5units, subQ injection): Right side injection went well today. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

But the rest of my body is not.

It looks like I'm officially on Period, Part II. I started bleeding back on July 3rd (just a few days short of stopping my birth control) and was wondering why my usual 4 day period was still going on day 6, albeit lightly. Then today-right on time I might add; my calendar warned me to expect my period today-I woke up to cramping ovaries, an irritated uterus, and a full flow, again. It's alright though, Ms. Uterus. You do your thing, and shed your lining one last time.

It'll be the last I'll see of this for another ten months anyway.

Friday, 7-10-09 (Day 10)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): I woke up late this morning, and while rushing around dropped the pill into the sink, under running water. With my cat-like reflexes not working to their full extent in the am, I struggled to save the pill and shove it-and it's then gooey liquidish form-into my mouth.

Lupron (5units, subQ injection): Today's injection went well, but caused me to bleed. It really is no big deal, my left side just has issues.

Today was also my first E2 blood test, to make sure the Lupron is doing it's job by suppressing my hormones and keeping me from ovulating. The test is supposed to be done STAT, so the Doctor has the results immediately and can make any necessary changes to the dosage of medicine.

But unfortunately my dexamethasone incident wasn't the only catastrophic result of me waking up late this morning.

My cousin and my sister are both phlebotomists. My cousin works for LabCorp, and my sister works at the Hospital, and they both happened to be working today. My original plan was to go to LabCorp were my cousin works, because that's what my Doctor prefers, but I woke up late to a text message saying that LapCorp doesn't do E2 blood tests STAT, and the soonest they could get the results would be next Monday. She suggested I go see my sister at the hospital, so as I was rushing around to get ready I texted my sister to make sure the hospital will run an E2 blood test STAT.

Of course they don't.

Already frantic at this point because my original plan to take care of this mess before work was ruined by my waking up a mere forty-five minutes before my first appointment, I rushed to get into the office before my clients did. On the way, I multi tasked by calling my Doctors office in Sacramento to let them know that no one in town will do my E2 blood test STAT, and after making several calls themselves, I was given the OK to head to LabCorp and they would work out the details themselves.

So in between my appointments at the office, to LabCorp I went. As odd as this sounds, it was somewhat refreshing to have my cousin poke me with a needle that was removing something from my veins instead of forcing burning hormones into my body.

This process is proving to be challenging, but I'm honestly loving every part of it. To be able to watch and learn as my body goes through changes and steps to help create the miracle of life is just extraordinary. I'm reminded everyday that God has given us many tools and technology, but in the end, He is the great physician. He is the creator of life, and He alone can make this happen.

We just have to trust Him, and give it our best shot.

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

7 comments:

Hillary said...

You're RE sounds great that they were able to make the Lab Corp blood draw work. So glad you're moving right along :)

Summer Athena said...

you are the best. ever.

Kelli said...

I'm loving all your creative shot-related titles! Too cute! :) AF started for me today...here goes nothing!

Natalie said...

I always love your quotes! Thanks for sharing this journey with everyone. You are an inspiration.

IVF Again! said...

That's right! It's going be your last AF for next 10 months. Congrats on getting started with everything! It's so exciting! :)

WantWait&Pray said...

I'm prayin for you hun! Keep that positive attitude....you're well into this IVF and doing GREAT!

Tim and Heather said...

It sounds like things are moving along well for you! Are you starting your follistim soon? Once you get over the sheer size of it, it's not so bad. Just a warning, the Menopur burns, but you only do that for 4-5 days. Keep up the awesome attitude! It's all for a great reason!!