Thursday, May 14, 2009

Retail Therapy

Hi. My name is Tabitha, and I have a shopping problem.

Not the standard I-can't-breath-unless-I-go-shopping-right-now problem, but more of a It's-on-sale-so-it's-justified-even-if-I-don't-need-it problem. Like when I ventured into Target yesterday for a tongue scraper and face wash, but was drawn like a magnet to the clearance end-caps. Although I tried to talk myself out of it, I ended up purchasing a travel pack of 10 Band Aids, Purelle, and a mini pack of cough drops for my purse just because they were tiny, on clearance, and might come in handy someday.

You never know.

Being the sucker for a red tag that I am, I'm absolutely helpless when it comes to clearance items. I've always come out on the other side with some amazing finds, but retail therapy still costs money in the end. So when I saw this Petunia Pickle Bottom clutch online at http://www.designpublic.com/shop/petunia-pickle-bottom/12362 that matches the pattern of the Boxy Backpack Diaper Bag I want, I suddenly needed it so bad I couldn't think straight.

Originally priced at a ridiculous $87, it's now down to an only semi-ridiculous $62. Now that I've taken a step back from the situation and gathered my thoughts, I realize that I may never use this mini-travel-diaper-bag-baby-changer-storage-thing. Not to mention the fact that I don't have a baby yet and my list of favorite things changes like the wind; But it was there, it's adorable, and it's on sale...and suddenly I'm weak.

Especially since the shipping is free.

I'm pretty good about stopping myself before things get out of hand; after all I did refrain myself from purchasing the $10 Vick's humidifier that I passed by last night that I just may need someday. And the $8 gift pack of Caress body wash, body scrub, soap and a razor that would have been perfect for my guest bathroom. Wait a minute; a razor alone costs $10. Good grief, I may have to go back and get that.

Anyway, there is hope; I'm fairly certain that having a baby will fix the problem. When I get bored, I shop. But when there's a baby in the picture, I can't just take off and go shopping whenever I want, hence solving the problem of running recklessly into clearance end-caps. Because even though I'm a Ross-T.J.Maxx-Target kind of girl, it still all adds up in the end.

So I did not purchase the diaper bag clutch, for more reasons than the reservation of whether or not it will fit a bulky cloth diaper. Until my little miracle makes his or her debut, I will have to learn to be happy with what I have and enjoy all I've been blessed with. As I walk into a store, I'll hold my head high and remind myself to save my money because I desire a child more than a great deal.

Because I refuse to be controlled by a red tag.

And I will overcome the clearance section.

"May we never let the things we can't have, or don't have, or shouldn't have, spoil our enjoyment of the things we do have and can have. As we value our happiness let us not forget it, for one of the greatest lessons in life is learning to be happy without the things we cannot or should not have."
-Richard L. Evans

7 comments:

BHRMAMA said...

HAHA!!! I love this blog!!! But I must tell you, the shopping only gets worse when you have a baby. Because then you see ALL the CUTE things you want to get the little cutie pie and your "just this one little thing" or "but I've waited so long to be able to buy things like this" kicks in and you are a gonner!!!!! LOL!! Love ya

Robin said...

Oh honey. We must never meet IRL because we would do nothing but spend our every last dime together shopping. I love the clearence ends too! But I fear the other commenter is right. A baby will make it worse. I can barely resist buying stuff for my nephew. But I may have to break down and buy him the farm to play with when he's here. Oh! And I love the diaper bag thingy. Soooo cute.

Momma Wilson said...

Its so funny that I read this today, I just got back from Target - all I needed was vitamins, and $76 later I am not sure what happened!!!

Natalie said...

I love this post and I love that quote! I just added it to my facebook b/c it just sums up everything! Your blog is amazing and inspiring!!

Kelli said...

How cute is that clutch?!?! I love it! - but, I too had to step back and realize I really don't need it right now. :) Happy bargain hunting!

satto said...

I miss you! Come back to your blog and post!

BB said...

Oh man... you are so good at writing... you steal my words! I can so relate with you... and I swear by TJMax/Ross!