Thursday, April 16, 2009

Who Does This?

Yesterday after work I ventured into Costco to pick up the prescriptions my nurse coordinator had called in for me. As I made my way up the the counter and gave the pharmacist my last name, she brought me my goodies:

A pack of birth control and some overpriced prenatal vitamins.

The pharmacist must have thought I was so confused; not sure if I was happily pregnant or desperately trying to avoid a pregnancy. Because who purchases pregnancy prevention birth control yet fills her prescription of crazy-strong prenatal vitamins at the same time?

Oh, that's right...I do.

I know it's normal for Doctors to put you on birth control for at least a month before IVF. Apparently the birth control suppresses your hormones and sort of cleans you out, preventing or eliminating any cysts you may have. By the time you start your IVF cycle and you stop the birth control, your hormones and your womanly organs are raging and ready for peak performance. Makes sense, I get it.

But it's still a little weird.

At that point I felt like I just had to explain myself to the lady, so I scooted forward, violating her personal space to let her know in a quite voice that I was preparing for a July IVF cycle in hopes that she would then understand the method to my madness. But instead of a head nod of understanding, she simply looked sympathetically at me. I don't think she got it, I may have just made things worse. But then again, maybe I'm not giving her enough credit and she did get it.

Because despite the sweet comments from an elderly couple behind me in line about how well dressed and lovely I looked in my sundress and heals, when I got home that night I realized I had a massive hole under my arm in the left side of my dress; leaving the distinct possibility that the pharmacist had spotted the distracting hole earlier and didn't quite know what to think of me; hence the strange looks and lack of communication.

Sigh* The things I'm enduring for my unborn children...

“I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place."
-Angelina Jolie

9 comments:

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

i felt the same way taking birth control. it was too ironic to be taking it while i had been trying to get pregnant for 2 years. apparently it did the trick though, as im sure it will for you!!

Lisa said...

I know...it is ironic! The things we go through...

WantWait&Pray said...

Stories like that just show charm...that's cute you explained the situation to the pharmacist. I too think it's crazy to be taking the pill before we do IVF..but get why it's done. Craziest thing is that while on vacation with the 3 other couples, the subject of bcp's came up and what kind we take. I had mine which and couldn't remember the name, so I peeked in my purse to share. I am hoping to REALLY surprise them all in 1.5 months when we find out we're pregnant! :-)

Kelli said...

LOL :) Don't worry, you're not the only one who does this!! We're in the same boat!

Stephanie said...

What a funny story!!
Best of luck...fingers crossed that this works!!

Hillary said...

It does seem so...wrong....to take bcp in the midst of IF, lol! But we trust that doctor knows best :)

Unknown said...

ha! that was hilarious!
many prayers that IVF#1 works for you@@@
God Bless!

Rachel said...

oh gosh this sounds like me!

katt3233 said...

Hi Tab, I just stumbled into your blog. Love it!! :)