Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's Getting Serious

I can't believe this is really happening!

My husband and I have been contemplating IVF dates and costs, and I've been doing a lot of explaining about the IVF process to the small amount of curious friends and family members who actually know about our somewhat secretive situation. I've even updated my blog to show some IVF LINGO for the confusing terms that will fill up future posts, as well as a link to a site that explains-mostly in english-all about IVF. I'm finally starting to absorb everything, soak it all in. This is officially becoming real to us!

So far, the only thing standing between us and IVF-besides the ridiculous cost-is a series of CD3 blood work tests that I will need to get early next month to check my ovarian reserve (the status of my eggs and hormone levels). When the time comes, these results will let the Doctors know the appropriate medication to put me on to help me to produce a good amount of high quality eggs for the retrieval process. These meds are super expensive, but fortunately God has been blessing us and I've had some incredibly generous "nesties" offer to donate their unopened and unused meds to our cause, saving us a lot of money. It's amazing to watch God use these amazing ladies to step in and intervene on our behalf; even before we've started the IVF process.

We are fully aware that IVF holds no guarantees for us, but so far we have a really great prognosis and we're confident that God is leading us in the right direction. We're taking a huge risk here, but we know that if God brings us to it, He'll certainly bring us through it, just as He always does. We may be taking a long shot and reaching for the stars here, but our God created those stars...

So what have we got to lose?

"When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get one, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either."
-Leo Burnett

9 comments:

Nicole said...

Just found your blog and I love-LOVE your header. Just met with our RE today to decided whether or not to do yet another IVF cycle, so I've been down and confused. Hearing your optimism was very refreshing and helped me put my emotions and situation into check a bit. Been through IVF before so I'd be happy to answer questions or offer support if needed. Best of luck with it if you decide to go for it!

Nicole said...

Oh, I'd like to put a link to your blog on mine if you don't mind so please leave me a note. Thanks, http://anonymousinfertilityconfessions.blogspot.com/

WantWait&Pray said...

Hi hun. I just read your last two posts...I don't believe I read the post with your diagnosis. You are right in the same boat as my DH and I. Our motility was 26% and morph was 2%. Ugh! Our counts were about 17mil/ML and volume was ok.
I know that you will diligently pray about it and come to the answer you are supposed to. I do believe that if IVF is the direction you decide to go, then God will bless that path. One thing I would do right now is to get your DH on LCarnitine and LArginine (see my post regarding this). These were reccommended by my acupuncturist and are affordable. It is something we decided to do in preparation for IVF #2. I think your husband will go through a range of emotions after his diagnosis.....and it may not be feasible (or affordable) to continue the current meds he is on. So...if you switch him to something affordable....he will feel that he is contributing because if you do IVF- it's your body that goes through the wringer.

I am praying for you!!!!!!!!

Stephanie said...

You have such an uplifting view on this! I will keep you in my prayers during this long journey!!
I love the pics on your blog too..such beautiful photos!!

'Murgdan' said...

Well, I'm wishing you the best of everything for your upcoming IVF. I'll be cycling in May as well (also MFI). Glad I stumbled on your blog...will be following your story. :-)

WantWait&Pray said...

Here is what my DH takes:

Vitamin C-2000mg a day
L-Carnitine-1000mg a day
L-Arginine- 2-4g a day

Anonymous said...

Tabitha, I'm so excited for your next steps!!

btw, I awarded you the "Honest Scrap" award on my blog :)

Sara Scissors said...

I'm so glad you're moving forward. It's so nice to come be at peace with what's necessary. I hope we can be cycle buddies...I'm thinking I could really use your positive nature to get me through it. And hopefully I could return the favor!

Mrs.Babbsy said...

Good Luck with IVF! I will say a few prayers for you two:)