Thursday, May 22, 2008

Idols, Prayer & TTC

So we are having a revival at our church this week...it has been amazing! Bro. Rex Smith from Washington is our Evangelist and he is an extremely powerful speaker. The messages he has been bringing have really touched my heart.

On Monday night, he brought a message about idols. He reminded us that anything you put before God is an idol, anything. That includes TV, sports, food, friends...and TTC. It was a huge reality check for me. I know God has no problem with us trying to have a baby, and he even understands if it takes up a lot of my thought process. But when trying to get pregnant becomes an obsession, that's when it also becomes my idol. So Monday night I decided to give it to the Lord, which I've done before...but this time I decided to make a conscious effort not pick the burden back up at a later date! I won't stop trying, and I won't completely stop thinking about it (how could I?) but I will stop obsessing. I will give God total control and wait for him to bless us. His timing has always been impeccable, so why would this be any different?

Then on Tuesday we focused on prayer. It's amazing to me how something so simple can be so important. He compared the importance of praying to God with the importance of communicating with your spouse. Without communication, the relationships we have won't last. It's the same concept with God. He also reminded us of the power of prayer. The Bible tells us that if we believe, prayer can move mountains! There isn't a more powerful tool available to us than prayer. We should be talking to God constantly, thanking him for all he has blessed us with, and praying for others.

"God, grant my the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
-
Reinhold Niebuhr

0 comments: