Monday, July 20, 2009

Two Dozen Shots

Monday, 7-20-09 (Day 20)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): I'm dangerously close to the weight I was a few months ago, but I did loose those few pounds because I knew this process would cause me to gain some. I just need to be careful and focus on being as healthy as possible.

Lupron (5units, subQ injection): I don't even need the ice any more.

Follistim (225units, subQ injection): This was my very last Follistim shot, and it was given in the back of the Super Walmart parking lot on our way back into town this evening.

Classy, I know, but that's where we landed at 6:30pm.

Luveris (1/2ml, subQ injection): My last Luveris injection was also given in the Super Walmart parking lot. It must have been such a sight to see a girl in the front of her car, lying back as far as the Ford Focus seat would allow, hiking up her sundress and giving herself two injections while her husband supervises and keeps the lookout.

I may actually miss the suspense and drama of it all.

According to my calendar today was officially cycle day 8 (CD8), and our first visit to the Doctor's office in Sacramento for our urea plasma (a simple swab test for a bacteria that can cause miscarriages), follicle check sonogram, and E2 blood work.

Usually this is all done on CD9, but Dr. Greene felt that I would most likely be a high responder even on the low dose of medication and wanted to check us out a day early, just in case. As I sat on the hard, sterile table and placed my feet awkwardly in the stirrups, I warned him that I just wasn't feeling anything out of the ordinary and I was concerned that I wasn't growing any eggs, just adding fat to my midsection.

He just ignored me and violated me with a sonogram wand, smiling as he started counting and measuring follicles; fifteen on the right side and nine on the left, with an endometrium lining of 16.5.

That's at least two dozen shots at our future family.

With a super thick lining and a total of twenty-four measurable follicles so far, Dr. Greene said that I surpassed his expectations as an overachiever and everything looks wonderful. The plan is to trigger with the HCG injection sometime tomorrow evening, and retrieve these gorgeous follicles on Thursday morning.

I'm still in shock; I had myself convinced that my lack of symptoms and ridiculously comfortable state meant I wasn't producing a decent amount of follicles; but I still had faith that God was in control and He would do what was best for us and His will.

My husband and I are both thrilled with our current progression and so very thankful for the smooth, uncomplicated ride we've experienced so far. We both know that prayer works wonders, and we are amazed and humbled by the amount sent up for us from family, friends, and even those blogging friends we've never met.

Those prayers are growing our eggs, thickening my lining, and keeping us sane.

"Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith."
-Margaret Shepard

11 comments:

BB said...

I am triggering tonight for a Thursday retrieval as well... have a few dozen sitting in there too! :) Sticky vibes to both of us!

Lisa said...

YAY for trigger time!! hopefully by sometime next week you'll have lots of beautiful embies!

Summer Athena said...

I'm sooooo excited for you both. All of u!!!
I'm routing for you!!!

Melissa said...

Wow - you are a great responder!! When I did IVF I only had 8, out of that 5 were mature and out of that 3 were able to be transferred and 1 implanted...we now have a 9 month old baby girl.

Good lucky with everything!!!!

Robin said...

I am SOOOOO excited for you!!! I knew those rock star ovaries would out-perform!!! We're praying for you every single day and I can't wait to hear how things go tomorrow. XOXOX

M said...

So excited for you!! Congratulations on all your follies!

Summer Athena said...

i see you did the shot!

i am going to say an extra special prayer for you tonight for your retrieval tomorrow!

xo

Dianne said...

That's great!!!!! Good Luck!!!!

Tim and Heather said...

wow, that is great!!! I will be praying for a good retrieval tomorrow and some growing embies!! 24 is amazing!!!!

Kelli said...

All those shots will be totally worth it when you see that BFP!
24!!! Ahhhh!!! Can I borrow one of those superstar ovaries!?!?!?! hehe
I love you girl and I hope tomorrow goes just as smoothly as your progression so far! xoxoxo

WantWait&Pray said...

Ooooooh my gosh!!!! I just read this now and am dying- you are doing your ER tomorrow! I think?!?!?!
Please know I am thinking of you, praying for you and KNOW that this is going to work. I can't explain it, but I just have a very strong feeling that in 2 weeks......you'll be posting a BFP! I am thinking of you sweetie....post updates tomorrow and know I am praying you through! My sister in Christ, I love ya- I can't wait to hear!