Sunday, July 5, 2009

Shots Along The Way

Following are the traveling chronicles of shots, pills, and surf fishing that took place while camping in the tiny town of Ferndale with my parents on the 4th of July weekend.

Friday, 7-3-09 (Day 3)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): My appetite has definitely increased, but I'm still debating whether or not to blame it on the pill, or the fact that I'm on vacation surrounded by high-calorie snacks with dangerously low self-control.

Lupron (10units, subQ injection): Today's injection went much smoother on the right side. I took advantage of the wisdom delivered by some of my blog commenters and numbed the area for a bit with a small ice pack; it made a huge difference. No bruising, no bleeding.

In other news, apparently my ovaries did not get the memo that I am on birth control and therefore should not be having my period until I stop the pills in a few more days; because today I began to bleed like a stuck pig. However, my nurse coordinator doesn't seem too concerned, so I refuse to be. Besides, I should have expected it. Birth control or not, my uterus has hit it's usual 31 day cycle ending date and was ready to do it's thing.

Sometimes you just can't stop nature.

Saturday 7-4-09 (Day 4)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): After some quick Internet research, I found that this pill is also given to cancer patients to help reduce the nausea of chemotherapy and increase their appetite.

So that explains why I didn't get carsick on the long, windy mountain drive; and why I'm so hungry all the time.

Good to know.

Lupron (10units, subQ injection): I think I've got the hang of this. Seemingly unfazed by last Thursday's dramatic episode with my left side troubles, I simply stabbed that needle in like it was no body's business. I wasn't taking my chances with multiple stab wounds again.

Mission accomplished.

Today's Tab-ology: If you've never tried to gracefully squat and pee behind a sand dune in 45 degree weather, using flimsy biodegradable toilet paper while on your period...then you haven't lived. I'm just saying.

Sunday, 7-5-09 (Day 5)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): Insomnia, no, but increased appetite and weight gain? That's would be a yes.

:::Sigh's and hangs head pitifully:::

Lupron (10units, subQ injection): As my last injection while on vacation, I decided to show off my mad skills and do it in front of my mother. After all, it was my right side, and my only side thus far to have a perfect track record.

Until today.

Apparently my jabbing techniques are the problem. I have some tough skin, and was reminded that slow and steady pressure is what works best. My mom ended up giving me the injection, and I was forced to pick up my wounded pride and move on.

And for some good news; it looks like my troubles with my sharps container have come to an end. I've decided to just leave the darn thing open.

All the time.

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."
-Vincent Van Gogh

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Your doing great!!

JackieMac said...

What a weekend. You are doing a great job - I give you alot of credit and wish you nothing but the best. Again thank you for the details. I really like to know in detail what an IVF cycle is all about and I am sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

Robin said...

I so thought about you Thursday night when we did our first shot and ping! It bounced right off. Chris had to stab me three times before it finally went in. He says he's out of practice. Glad things are going well! And I'm right there with you on the eating! I'm expecting AF tomorrow with suppression check on Friday too. Praying we are both clear and ready to start stims!!!

Anonymous said...

Girl you are fierce - good for you - I am always proud of girls that can do their own shots - I honestly do not think I could do it and I love how specific you are with the details - because I need details - I need to know what this is really going to be like.

Summer Athena said...

you crack me up!!! good job!!!!!

Summer Athena said...

ps - we are on day 4 of lupron (20 units) and husband insists on doing the injections. i think it is funny and his way of feeling included. ;)

Hillary said...

Sounds like you're doing an awesome job -- keep it up :) Soon you'll have all those beautiful eggs ready to go...

Tim and Heather said...

Hi Tab, I hope you don't mind that I was surfing through Kristen Wilson's blog and found yours. I'm a friend of hers from high school... anyway, I've started the IVF process with my husband too. I'm going in for my ultrasound to check my ovaries, and hopefully they will extract the eggs this week. It's exciting when you're working toward something so wonderful! Just a bit of unsolicited advice, I didn't have much luck with shots in my pooch, either. I tried the slightly fatty part of my thigh, and had better luck with that. I feel like a pin cushion right now, but the shots aren't so bad. It definatley gets easier. For me the menopur (LH) shot was the worst because it burned a lot. But it's worth it in the end. You might also want to ask your dr about taking 1/2 a tab of dexamethosone... I had some bad side effects from it (insomnia, anxiety, bloating) so my dr suggested taking 1/2 a tablet or one every other day for now until we implanted. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to talk to you. My email is hhorsmann@mail.stcharles.k12.mo.us if you want to email me. Good luck!!

Suzanne said...

You're doing great! I don't use an ice pack but before I take any of my shots, lupron, follistim, or menopur, I put some ice in a washcloth and numb the area for five minutes before I give myself a shot. It really helps! The menopur shot is the only shot that hurts, it always stings a bit when it goes in.

Kelli said...

That's a lot to keep up with while on vacation and enjoying the great outdoors! Way to go! :)

ps. I always left my sharps container open until it was full - my fingernails thanked me!

Infertile Myrtle said...

Hi there! I am sorry that I never comment on any of your posts. I read every single one and am praying for you big-time! I am glad things are going well so far! I would comment more often, but I cannot log in to Blogger from my work, and that's where I read your posts. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'm rooting for you all the way, and I appreciate it when you respond to the posts on my blog! Best of luck!

Rebekah said...

You are so funny! You're doing great. And yes, the sharps container is a royal PITA. Leaving it open is the only solution!