Thursday, July 23, 2009

Retrieval Day

Thursday, 7-23-09 (Day 23)

Dexamethasone (.75mg, oral pill): Even the anesthesia of our egg retrieval today couldn't curb my appetite. Less than an hour after surgery, I was already enjoying a much anticipated dinner at The Cheesecake Factory that everyone swore I wouldn't be up for.

I showed them.

Ciprofloxacin (500mg, oral pill): Add another antibiotic into the cocktail of drugs I'm already consuming? Sure, why not.

PIO (1ml, IM injection): Unprepared to begin these shots so soon, I was sad I didn't have at least a few days recovery time and a nice break from all things shots.

However, I'm relieved to report that Willie has proved to be an amazing shooter, even with the extra long muscle penetrating needles.

Clindamycin (150mg vaginal suppository): Messy but not that bad-and I only have one more left.

Egg Retrieval: We woke up early this morning and drove down to Sacramento, a two and a half hour drive of which I spent most of the time thinking about our 24 follicles and praying that my superstar ovaries would be worthy of their title, giving us lots of great looking eggs.

Upon our arrival, I signed the necessary paperwork and found a seat in the almost empty waiting room, enthralled with watching a lady being wheeled out of the main lobby in a wheelchair by a nurse. I couldn't help but stare, wondering what her story was. How old was she? Is she here for a fresh cycle or a FET? How long had she been trying for a baby? How many eggs did she retrieve? Is this her first time too? Where was her husband?

My thoughts were interrupted as my husband was called back by the foreign embryologist with a funny accent to give his contribution in the back room. By that time my parents had joined me in the waiting room, for which I was grateful. My father can't stand the thought of me being under local anesthesia without him being close by, and my mother is way too enthralled in this process to stay at home during anything having to do with her possible future grandchildren.

About an hour later our group moved into a back room and I was given instructions to use the bathroom and change into the provided and free-to-keep SIRM logo tee shirt and accessories. It's not a fashion show, I know, but I still felt a little ridiculous as my family started flashing the cameras my way.

It's impossible to look cute in a hair net and booties.

The rest of the process flew by like a whirlwind. The nurse came in and started my IV, introduced us to the anaesthesiologist and let us speak with Dr. Greene about what to expect. I used the restroom one last time and then was walked back into the operating room and placed on table with my feet in stirrups and given my sleeping potion.

I woke up about twenty minutes later, alert and asking about the retrieved eggs; listening intently with high expectations as I was told by a beaming Doctor that thirteen eggs had been retrieved.

And my heart sank right down to my not so rock star ovaries.

Doctor Greene immediately read the disappointment in my face and questioned it, assuring me that thirteen was an excellent number and that although there were twenty four measurable follicles on Monday not all of them necessarily held eggs or were mature. In fact, some of them were over mature.

I instantly regretted being disappointed. Retrieving thirteen seemingly healthy eggs is an amazing gift, worthy of celebrating and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. It was also comforting to hear that Dr. Greene was very pleased with the number and appearance of the eggs so far-as well as the surprisingly quick and painless recovery I had already made-and we are so very grateful to our God for blessing us with such a successful, uncomplicated retrieval.

We are anxious and excited for tomorrows fertilization report, but we take comfort in knowing that God is watching over the fusing of our eggs and sperm right now, holding them in the palm of His hand and carefully joining together the ones He specifically chooses as we wait, excited and hopeful for our dreams to come true.

Or at least fertilize and grow.

"To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.”
-Author Unknown

15 comments:

'Murgdan' said...

Hang in there. I can imagine that disappointment...and felt it even as you were writing it. Waking up to that....

I hope you hear nothing but good news from here on out...

Kelli said...

I'd say lucky number 13 is definitely something to celebrate!!! I guess my opinion may be somewhat jaded by the envy that tries to sneak in when I see such a big number, but none-the-less, 13 is AWESOME and your ovaries are super rockstars! Congrats girl and I can't wait to hear how they're doing! xo

osuraj said...

Congrats! It's hard to go from lots of follies to a smaller number of eggs, but with IVF it's truly quality over quantity. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

WantWait&Pray said...

CONGRATS Tab....13 is a very good number. My clinic never counted my follies that didn't look like they would actually contain eggs. So my #'s at my ultrasounds were pretty close to what we actually retrieved. Your clinic might count every follicle even though they might be too small/too large to contain an egg. Nonetheless....13 is a great number. What the more important number is is how many fertilized. I will be waiting on pins and needles to hear the fert. report. Just try to continue to give it up to God. During both IVF's I remember the ride to and from the clinic and just surrendering everything to Him. He is the ultimate Maker...he already knew you would retrieve those 13 beautiful eggs and He knows the outcome. So when you start to panic and start to obsess about all of this....take a huge breath and remember He is in control. You are going through the motions of this...but the ending has already been written. Love you sweetie...hang in there and keep me posted!!! Do you have my email???

Robin said...

Woo-hoo for 13 eggs!!! That's an awesome number! I'm so glad the process went well. The quality is the important part. And it sounds like they were great quality! I can't wait to hear your fertilization report! We just got ours and we have 7 little babies growing!!! Praise the Lord!!!!

JackieMac said...

13 is wonderful - a great count - you are doing a great job and I find alot of inspiration in you - you are giving me the courage to be able to do this. I think it is so wonderful that your parents were there with you too. I hope you get a wonderful fert report!!

Summer Athena said...

13 is a very lucky number! i am thrilled for you!

Jennifer said...

13 is a FANTASTIC number! Good luck with the fert report. I'll be praying for you!

Momma Wilson said...

Praying for you!

IVF Again! said...

Yay! I'm so glad the ER went well and you had 13 eggs! That's awesome!

Stephanie said...

13 eggs is great!
Cant wait to hear more..praying for you girl!!

BB said...

Similar experience here today... had almost half the number of eggs as compared to the follicles seen in the u/s! But, I guess we have to be grateful that we could get as many eggs as we did. Good luck with the fertilization and the transfer. Your embies and you are in my thoughts! {HUGS}

Infertile Myrtle said...

Praying for you!!! Hang in there!

Hillary said...

Praying for you, sweetie. (((hugs))

BB said...

Oh hon... I just saw your latest update (as of 7/26). I am praying for your embie! I am also surprised they didn't go in for a 3DT? I am so scared as to what is happening with our baby (ies)... we have no solid update as such! You are in my thoughts! {HUGS}