Monday, January 12, 2009

Twenty-Six

Today is my twenty-sixth birthday, but I only feel eighteen.

I have to admit that as I sit here thinking back on my life, I'm not exactly where I thought I'd be at twenty-six. I'm far from it, actually. My original plan was to get married around twenty-one, start my family around twenty-two, and have all four of my beautiful children before I turned thirty. But at this rate, I'd need to get pregnant right now and pop out a baby every year for the next four years to hit that target.

Have you ever heard the saying, If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans?

So true.

I didn't get married at twenty-one, I got married at twenty-three. But I'm the luckiest girl in the world, God sent me an amazing man to take care of me for the rest of my life. I didn't get pregnant at twenty-two either, but I'm growing and changing and learning more about myself every day. And I can pretty much guarantee that I won't have those four gorgeous babies before I turn thirty either, but the older I get, the younger thirty seems to be.

So I don't mind God laughing at my plans. In fact, I'm learning to laugh with him. No matter how hard we work, we can't control and manipulate the future to be exactly as we would like it to be. But if I trust that God has a plan for me, and continue to believe that His way is better than mine, life will turn out even more beautiful than I could have imagined.

I have countless blessings to be thankful for, and I have no doubt God will continue that trend this year, so here's to year twenty-six being as amazing as the first twenty-five! I'm excited to see what He has in store for my life this year!


The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.
-Oprah Winfrey

11 comments:

Kristi said...

Many, many happy returns as you celebrate your 26th birthday! Enjoy!

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

happy birthday! mine is on sunday!

i had a plan too, get married and have 5 kids two years apart, being done by 30. there still is that possibility, but i dont expect it to happen.

i hope you enjoy your day!

Ashley said...

That was a great post! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You are so right..."Sit back and enjoy the ride...God has great things in store for you ;)"

Baby Mama said...

Happy Birthday! I know God has great things in store for you in this 26th year of your life! And God's timing is always perfect and His plan is always best

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! Yes, I'm sure I will feel exactly the same way on my next birthday. That bittersweet reminder that things did not go as "planned," but how good it is that God is in control. Have a wonderful day!!

WantWait&Pray said...

Happy Birthday hun! I loved what that saying "If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans"...SO TRUE! We can daydream all we want and plan our lives out...we're not living on our timelines but on his.

FYI- I am 28 and had planned to have 3 children by the age of 30 as well. Eeek...I am (stubbornly at times) realizing that that's just not the plan God has for us.

AsheAnn said...

Happy Birthday! I love that saying; "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!" I had never heard that before, but its oddly so true! I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Momma Wilson said...

Happy Birthday, I hope all of your dreams come true!

RosiePosie84 said...

You're so positive!! I love reading your take on things :)

Meant to be a mom said...

happy late birthday! I'm new to the blog world and trying to find some girls going through this whole ivf process also. Its nice to have people who understand. I loved your last blog and wanted to tell you thank you for posting it. Its very inspirational. I'm in the week wait right now to find out if ivf worked for us???? I believe God will take care of things and that he answers prayers. I will keep you and your hubby in my prayers.

Rachel said...

Happy birthday! I'm almost 26 too! And I love the quote about making God laugh :) so true!